B.Pharm. or Bachelor of Pharmacy is an undergraduate Pharmacy course. Pharmacy is the art and science of preparing and dispensing drugs and medicines. The duration of B.Pharm. is four years whose curriculum is covered in a number of 6-8 Semesters, varying from institute to institute. B.Pharm. curriculum provides valuable knowledge of health care and bio chemical science. Students are expected to perform a number of experiments along with theory classes. Pharmacy education and profession in India up to graduate level is regulated by the Pharmacy Council of India (PCI), a statutory body governed by the provisions of the Pharmacy Act, 1948 passed by the Indian Parliament. Bachelor Degree in Pharmacy enables one to practice the profession of a Pharmacist. There are a number of recognized universities worldwide which offer online Pharmacy Degree. Some of the online Pharmacy Degree Schools are University of Florida, Kaplan University, Baker College, Lehigh University, University of Phoenix, Grand Canyon University and University of Liverpool.
Course Duration : 4 Years
Eligibility : 10+2
- Bachelor Degree in Pharmacy requires a candidate to have cleared 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Maths (PCM) or Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) or Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Biology as subjects. One must also pass with at least 50% marks in Pre University Course with biology/mathematics as one of the subjects, or complete a D.Pharma. (Diploma in Pharmacy
- There is an option of pursuing Direct Second Year Bachelor of Pharmacy (Lateral Entry) if one has: Should have aggregate of 50% marks in the First and Second year D. Pharmacy Examination with a pass in HSC or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Botany & Zoology) or Mathematics.
- Minimum qualifying marks in 10+2 examination as per Regulation (1a) above with pass in two year D. Pharmacy course.
- The criteria of minimum percentage of marks may differ from institute to institute. In some states it is also mandatory to give an additional pharmacy entrance examination in order to be eligible for the course.
- BHU B Pharma Entrance Exam
- GPAT - Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test
- GCET - Goa Common Entrance Test
- MHT-CET - Maharashtra Common Entrance Test
Pharm.D. is a Professional Pharmacy Doctoral Programme. 'Pharm.D.' is a Latin term which stands for 'Pharmaciae Doctor' which means 'Doctor of Pharmacy'. Pharmacy is the art and science of preparing and dispensing drugs and medicines. The course is also known as Pharma.D., which many of the medical institutesprefer to term it as such. Pharm.D. is a registrable qualification under the Pharmacy Act 1948. Pharmacy Council of India (PCI) is the regulatory body of Pharmacy education in India. Pharmacy Council of India introduced the 6 years Pharm.D. course in India from the academic year 2008. Pharm.D. enables one to practice the profession of a Pharmacist under the Pharmacy Act, 1948. Doctor of Pharmacy Programs is focused on class room theory, penetrative laboratory experiments and motivated research projects. Only PCI approved Colleges can offer Pharm.D. course. There are only a limited number of Pharmacy Schools which provide Doctor of Pharmacy degree.
For Pharm.D. (6 year course)
A pass in any of the following examinations -
- 10+2 examination with Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects along with one of the following subjects: Mathematics or Biology.
- A pass in D.Pharm. course from an institution approved by the Pharmacy Council of India under section 12 of the Pharmacy Act.
- Any other qualification approved by the Pharmacy Council of India as equivalent to any of the above examinations.
- Provided that a student should complete the age of 17 years on or before 31st December of the year of admission to the course.
- Provided that there shall be reservation of seats for the students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and other Backward Classes in accordance with the instructions issued by the Central Government/State Government/Union Territory Administration as the case may be from time to time.